[Python-Dev] Fwd: Removal of GIL through refcounting removal.

VanL van.lindberg at gmail.com
Thu Oct 30 18:07:50 CET 2008

Sigurd Torkel Meldgaard wrote:
> Hi to all Python developers
>
> For a student project in a course on virtual machines, we are
> evaluating the possibility to
> experiment with removing the GIL from CPython...

Just an FYI, these two particular students already introduced themselves
on the PyPy list. Paolo is a masters student with experience in the
Linux kernel; Sigurd is a PhD candidate.

Their professor is Lars Bak, the lead architect of the Google V8
Javascript engine. They spent some time working on V8 in the last couple
months.