[Python-Dev] bsddb alternative (was Re: [issue3769] Deprecate bsddb for removal in 3.0)

C. Titus Brown ctb at msu.edu
Thu Sep 4 04:56:09 CEST 2008

On Wed, Sep 03, 2008 at 04:41:32PM -0700, Raymond Hettinger wrote:
-> I think this should be deferred to Py3.1.
->
-> This decision was not widely discussed and
-> I think it likely that some users will
-> be surprised and dismayed.  The release
-> candidate seems to be the wrong time to
-> yank this out (in part because of the surprise
-> factor) and in part because I think the change
-> silently affects shelve performance so that the
-> impact may be significantly negative but not
-> readily apparent.

Related but tangential question that we were discussing on the pygr[0]
mailing list -- what is the "official" word on a scalable object store
in Python?  We've been using bsddb, but is there an alternative?  And
what if bsddb is removed?

It would be very nice to have a moderately scalable (thousands to
millions, if not billions) cross-platform object store backend
distributed with Python.

sqlite could be one choice, but I haven't used it much yet, so I don't
know.

thanks,
--titus

[0] Python graph database for bioinformatics,

	http://code.google.com/p/pygr
C. Titus Brown, ctb at msu.edu