[Python-Dev] Package Management - thoughts from the peanut gallery

Michael Foord fuzzyman at voidspace.org.uk
Fri Apr 3 19:13:39 CEST 2009

Chris Withers wrote:
> Olemis Lang wrote:
>> On Fri, Apr 3, 2009 at 11:20 AM, Chris Withers
>> <chris at simplistix.co.uk> wrote:

>>> I don't see why PyPI isn't just ported to GAE with an S3 data
>>> storage bit
>>> and be done with it... Offline mirrors for people behind firewalls
>>> already
>>> have solutions out there...
>>
>> -1 ... IMHO ...
>
> For what reason?

GAE does suffer from blackouts - which is the problem we are attempting
to solve with mirroring.

I don't see why we should tie vital Python infrastructure to the
proprietary APIs of a single vendor and outsource delivery entirely to
them. If we have the manpower to do this ourselves it seems better to do
it and retain control.

Added to which GAE is a commercial service and beyond a certain level
bandwidth / cycles needs paying for. This may not be an issue in itself
(either Google may waive charges or the PSF may be willing to pay).

Michael

--
http://www.ironpythoninaction.com/
http://www.voidspace.org.uk/blog