[Python-Dev] graphics maths types in python core?

Greg Ewing greg.ewing at canterbury.ac.nz
Sun Apr 5 00:00:36 CEST 2009

C. Titus Brown wrote:

> we're having a discussion over on the GSoC mailing list about basic
> math types, and I was wondering if there is any history that we should
> be aware of in python-dev.

Something I've suggested before is to provide a set of
functions for doing elementwise arithmetic operations on
objects that support the new buffer protocol.

Together with a multidimensional version of the standard
array.array type, this would provide a kind of "numpy
lite" that you could use to build reasonably efficient
vector and matrix types with no external dependencies.

By making these functions that operate through the
buffer protocol rather than special types, they would
be much more flexible and interoperate with other
libraries very well.

--
Greg