[Python-Dev] PEP 383: Non-decodable Bytes in System Character Interfaces

Cameron Simpson cs at zip.com.au
Tue Apr 28 02:42:32 CEST 2009

On 27Apr2009 21:48, Martin v. L�wis <martin at v.loewis.de> wrote:

| >> I'd say that's out of scope. A windows filesystem mounted on a UNIX host
| >> should probably be mounted with a mapping to translate the Windows
| >> Unicode names into whatever the sysadmin deems the locally most apt
| >> byte encoding. But sys.getfilesystemencoding() is based on the current
| >> user's locale settings, which need not be the same.
| >>

| > And if it were, what would it do with files that can't be encoded with
| > the locally most apt byte encoding?
|
| As Cameron says: it's out of the scope of the PEP. It really depends how
| the operating system deals with them. Most likely, the files are not
| accessible - not only not from Python, but also not accessible from
| any other Unix program.

Well... If the files exist and the encoding of the mount software
permits, there will be a sequence of bytes for the filename, and it
will be accessible to a pure UNIX byte-speaking program. It will also
be accessible from Python, because the os.* calls convert both ways:
bytes->string an string->bytes as required. Martin's PEP just makes that
lossless, which current it is not.

Conversely, if the mount software refuses to map the filename to a POSIX
byte string, the file won't exist, or will refuse to be created. For a
concrete example we have but to observe my macify program I was trying
to counter the PEP with (I'm now a convert, btw). It is to run on a real
UNIX system and recode filenames into UTF-8 NFD, _prior_ to rsyncing
to a Mac. Why? Because the MacOSX HFS filesystem refuses to accept byte
strings not parsable by that encoding, and my music rsyncs were exploding,
refusing to create files on the target Mac.

And there's probably some grey area where a dodgy mount software will present
names that can't be used.

There's a supposed counter example in another followup post which I'll
address there, since it seemed a little bogus to me.

I think that, almost independent of this PEP, there should be an
os.fsencode() function that takes a byte string (as a POSIX OS call
will take) and performs the _same_ byte->string encoding that listdir()
and friends are doing under the hood. And a partner os.fsdecode() for
string->bytes. That will save a lot of wheel respoking and probably make
it easier for people to think about this.

Aside: thinking on that, perhaps those functions should be in posix.*,
or alternatively would a Windows system offer them in os.* to produce
native UTF-16 byte strings; useless for the WIndows API which cleanly
takes unicode (I gather) but perhaps handy for people hacking filesystems
directly or something like that.  (Except I gather from a former existence
that there is a multitude of on-disk filename encoding under WIndows
depending how old your filesystems are and if they're FAT or NTFS, etc).

Cheers,
http://www.cskk.ezoshosting.com/cs/

Your eyes are weary from staring at the CRT.  You feel sleepy.  Notice how
restful it is to watch the cursor blink.  Close your eyes.  The opinions
stated above are yours.  You cannot imagine why you ever felt otherwise.
        - gabrielh at tplrd.tpl.oz.au