[Python-Dev] PEP 383: Non-decodable Bytes in System Character Interfaces

Piet van Oostrum piet at cs.uu.nl
Thu Apr 30 21:33:05 CEST 2009

>RO> For what it's worth, the OSX API's seem to behave as follows:
>RO> * If you create a file with an non-UTF8 name on a HFS+ filesystem the
>RO> system automaticly encodes the name.

>RO> That is,  open(chr(255), 'w') will silently create a file named '%FF'
>RO> instead of the name you'd expect on a unix system.

Not for me (I am using Python 2.6.2).

>>> f = open(chr(255), 'w')
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
IOError: [Errno 22] invalid mode ('w') or filename: '\xff'

I once got a tar file from a Linux system which contained a file with a
non-ASCII, ISO-8859-1 encoded filename. The tar file refused to be
unpacked on a HFS+ filesystem.
--
Piet van Oostrum <piet at cs.uu.nl>
Private email: piet at vanoostrum.org