[Python-Dev] Issues with Py3.1's new ipaddr

Guido van Rossum guido at python.org
Thu Jun 4 01:31:05 CEST 2009

On Wed, Jun 3, 2009 at 2:58 PM, Raymond Hettinger <python at rcn.com> wrote:
> [GvR]

> [Benjamin Peterson]
>>>
>>> As Raymond and Gregory have pointed out in this thread, the library is
>>> quite independent as it stands now in the stlib, so should be trivial
>>> to remove. Nothing else should be affected.
>
> Guido, have you made a firm decision to remove ipaddr.py from 3.1?
> The guys on IRC are chomping at the bit.

I don't make firm decisions any more (this is something that comes
with old age).

Let them remove it. If it means Python will never have such
functionality, because the users can't agree on the correct semantic
model, so be it. It's pretty advanced stuff, some people are happy to
write their own based on the RFCs, others will gladly download one of
the existing contenders (ipaddr included).