[Python-Dev] Integrate lxml into the stdlib?

Stefan Behnel stefan_ml at behnel.de
Thu Mar 5 21:52:02 CET 2009

Benjamin Peterson wrote:
> 2009/3/5 Guido van Rossum <guido at python.org>:
>> On Thu, Mar 5, 2009 at 2:39 AM, Stefan Behnel <stefan_ml at behnel.de> wrote:
>>> And, BTW, I wouldn't mind getting lxml into the stdlib either.
>> No matter how beautiful and fast lxml is, it has one downside where it
>> comes to installing it into the stdlib: it is based on large, complex
>> 3rd party libraries, libxml2 and libxslt.
>
> And it depends on Cython, which is wonderful normally, but maybe
> difficult to deal with in language evolution since we wouldn't have
> direct control over the C sources.

I see the point, although I think that this can be dealt with by

a) using a specific, stable release version of Cython for a specific Python
release, so that this Cython version can be bug fixed if required (it's
implemented in Python, after all)

or

b) adding Cython to the stdlib and building with that

Stefan