[Python-Dev] Ext4 data loss

Antoine Pitrou solipsis at pitrou.net
Wed Mar 11 15:21:25 CET 2009

Christian Heimes <lists <at> cheimes.de> writes:

> In my initial proposal one and a half hour earlier I suggested 'sync()'
> as the name of the method and 'synced' as the name of the flag that
> forces a fsync() call during the close operation.

I think your "synced" flag is too vague. Some applications may need the file to
be synced on close(), but some others may need it to be synced at regular
intervals, or after each write(), etc.

Calling the flag "sync_on_close" would be much more explicit. Also, given the
current API I think it should be an argument to open() rather than a writable
attribute.