[Python-Dev] Ext4 data loss

Cameron Simpson cs at zip.com.au
Wed Mar 11 22:43:44 CET 2009

>>> https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/317781/comments/54.
>>> [...]
>> If I understand the post properly, it's up to the app to call fsync(),
>> and it's only necessary when you're doing one of the rename dances, or
>> updating a file in place. Basically, as he explains, fsync() is a very
>> heavyweight operation; I'm against calling it by default anywhere.
>>
> To me, the flaw seem to be in the close() call (of the operating
> system). I'd expect the data to be
> in a persistent state once the close() returns. So there would be no
> need to fsync if the file gets closed anyway.

Not really. On the whole, flush() means "the object has handed all data
to the OS".  close() means "the object has handed all data to the OS
and released the control data structures" (OS file descriptor release;
like the OS, the python interpreter may release python stuff later too).

By contrast, fsync() means "the OS has handed filesystem changes to the
disc itself". Really really slow, by comparison with memory. It is Very
Expensive, and a very different operation to close().

[...snip...]
> Why has this ext4 problem not come up for other filesystems?

The same problems exist for all disc based filesystems to a greater of
lesser degree; the OS always does some buffering and therefore there
is a gap between what the OS has accepted from you (and thus made
visible to other apps using the OS) and the physical data structures
on disc. Ext2/3/4 tend to do whole disc sync when just asked to fsync,
probably because it really is only feasible to say "get to a particular
checkpoint in the journal". Many other filesystems will have similar
degrees of granularity, perhaps not all.

Anyway, fsync is a much bigger ask than close, and should be used very
sparingly.

Cheers,
http://www.cskk.ezoshosting.com/cs/

If I repent anything, it is very likely to be my good behavior.
    What demon possessed me that I behaved so well?     - Henry David Thoreau