[Python-Dev] What level of detail wanted for import and the language reference?

Michael Foord fuzzyman at voidspace.org.uk
Mon Mar 16 23:43:31 CET 2009

Brett Cannon wrote:
> At this point importlib is done for its public API for Python 3.1.
> That means it's time to turn my attention to making sure the semantics
> of import are well documented. But where to put all of the details?
> The language reference for import
> (http://docs.python.org/dev/py3k/reference/simple_stmts.html#the-import-statement)
> explains the basics, but is lacking all of the details of PEP 302 and
> other stuff like __path__ that have existed for ages.
>
> My question is if I should flesh out the details in the language
> reference or do it in importlib's intro docs. The main reason I could
> see not doing it in the langauge reference (or at least duplicating
> it) is it would be somewhat easier to reference specific objects in
> importlib but I am not sure if the language reference should try to
> stay away from stdlib references.

Having the Python import semantics well documented will be an
*excellent* side effect of importlib. Thank you for your astonishing
efforts on this project.

Personally I would rather see the import semantics themselves in the
language reference.

Michael

http://www.ironpythoninaction.com/
http://www.voidspace.org.uk/blog