[Python-Dev] Multiprocessing on Solaris

Scott Dial scott+python-dev at scottdial.com
Mon Mar 23 09:02:38 CET 2009

Martin v. Löwis wrote:
>> Sorry, I mistakenly said "without issue" and then copied the issues
>> below. I meant to say "not without issues." _multiprocessing does *not*
>> build on Solaris 8.
>
> Hmm. They are all warnings - did you omit the actual error message?
>
> The lack of CMSG_LEN seems to suggest that control messages are not
> supported on Solaris 8, or that you need to include an additional
> header file to get them.

Sorry, I was trying to keep the amount of noise to a minimum, but those
particular implicit function declarations ultimately lead to linking
errors for lack of those same symbols:

*** WARNING: renaming "_multiprocessing" since importing it failed:
ld.so.1: python: fatal: relocation error: file
build/lib.solaris-2.8-sun4u-2.7/_multiprocessing.so: symbol CMSG_SPACE:
referenced symbol not found

>> Is Solaris 8 really a supported platform? If so, I can investigate the
>> changes he suggested.
>
> The concept of "supported platform" doesn't really exist - there is no
> way to obtain "support". If it works, it works, if it doesn't, it
> doesn't. So if you want it fixed, provide a patch - else we can drop
> the issue.

I have no personal interest in the matter. I just happened to have
access to an older Solaris just for this sort of testing. If someone has
a patch, then I would be glad to test it, but otherwise, I am not going
to invest any time on this. The patch given by the OP is clearly
undesirable since status quo works just fine for a modern Solaris install.

> I think multiprocessing is misguided in hard-coding these settings
> into setup.py. As we can see, the necessary features are available
> on some versions of Solaris, but not on others. It would be better
> if autoconf tests were written, and the entire configuration removed
> from setup.py.

I agree, but I am not familiar enough with the set of features that
multiprocessing is implicitly depending on and how to test for them on
all of the platforms.

--
Scott Dial
scott at scottdial.com