[Python-Dev] Test failures under Windows?

David Bolen db3l.net at gmail.com
Tue Mar 24 19:49:27 CET 2009

Kristján Valur Jónsson <kristjan at ccpgames.com> writes:

> These issues should be resolved in the py3k branch, but it will need
> porting to 2.6.  Dialogue boxes are annoying, but do they pop up if
> you run your buildslave as a service without access to the console?

Not sure what the MSVC++ runtime does with assertion dialogs if run
without interactive access (they aren't console messages, but UI dialog
popups).

The buildslave already disables all normal MS runtime error dialogs,
but can't stop the internal C runtime from putting up its own, at
least I don't think so.  It can be disabled from within Python itself
at startup, but not external to the process.

There was a discussion about this on the py3k mailing list back in
mid-2007 ("buildbots" thread) and perhaps later as well, at which
point I believe Martin added an "-n" option to regrtest and the
buildbot test.bat file to disable the assertions.  Is that the py3k
branch piece you are referring to?

Although in looking now I can't find that option in use in any of the
current buildbot branches as part of tools/buildbot/test.bat.  Looks
like it got lost in one of the merges (unless it was intentional)?  I
wasn't paying close attention, so maybe there's some other mechanism
in place at this point?

-- David