[Python-Dev] tracker status options

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Tue Mar 24 22:41:34 CET 2009

> So, 'confirmed' instead of 'consensus needed' (or confirmed/approved,
> to cover feature requests), and 'patch is appropriate' that comes...I'm
> not quite sure where?

If the person who did the triage actually thinks the patch is ready to
be committed, it would be "commit review". Not sure in what other way
a patch might be appropriate.

> The cases I was considering are cases where in the comments on the ticket
> there is disagreement either on whether or not the bug is a bug or (more
> often) whether or not the feature is desirable, and at the patch stage
> whether or not the patch is the appropriate fix.

If the person doing the triage has made a final call, the issue can
enter the next stage. There should never be debate on the tracker, IMO
(although there often is). It might be that people disagree with a
triage, then they should appeal to python-dev, not on the issue itself.
It might be that they think the reviewer misunderstood the issue,
then they should clarify, and the reviewer should revert the status.

IMO, the reviewer should *always* take action, either by asking for
more information, or by advancing the issue to the next stage.

> Did I guess correctly that the process for "recommending rejection"
> is to set the stage to 'commit/reject', the resolution to 'invalid'
> (or whatever is appropriate) and the status to 'pending'?  That
> seemed to work for the issue I did it to, in that someone came
> along and closed it shortly after that.

If you have permission to do so, you should just close the issue
(in that manner). If you don't have permission, you can leave a message
saying "I recommend to close the issue".

If you are unsure, you can set it to Pending, and ask for help on
python-dev. In that case, you haven't actually done triage, but merely
considered it, and determined that it looks too difficult.

> The tricky bit here for me is that I, as a new person doing triage,
> don't always feel comfortable in passing judgement on a bug or feature
> request.  So what would be the mechanism for a triage person to request a
> "passing of judgement" from someone with more experience/authority?  Post
> to python-dev?

Exactly. Never assign to somebody, unless that somebody has explicitly
requested such an assignment, or unless he gave blank permission to
be assigned certain kinds of issues.

> Hmm.  Maybe I should write a short "guide to performing triage" and
> post it for feedback.

That can't hurt. Different people make different experiences.

Regards,
Martin