[Python-Dev] "setuptools has divided the Python community"

Zvezdan Petkovic zvezdan at zope.com
Thu Mar 26 14:44:29 CET 2009

On Mar 25, 2009, at 11:02 PM, Nick Coghlan wrote:

> That is, the full workflow that should really be happening is
> something like the following:
>
>                     Developer(s)
>         (distutils/setuptools/pip/zc.buildout/etc)

Here's a small FYI for this point in the diagram.
Perhaps some people are not aware of zc.sourcerelease.

	http://pypi.python.org/pypi/zc.sourcerelease/

It allows you to take a zc.buildout based project and pack it into a
tarball with all the eggs the project depends on packed with it.

	buildout-source-release projectdir_or_repo_path buildout.cfg

You can drop the resulting tarball into SOURCES directory and a
corresponding .spec file into SPECS directory and build an RPM package.
The RPM is then used to install the application.

Thus, zc.buildout is used for development (package management) and
zc.sourcerelease + rpmbuild for distribution.

I know this does not solve problems that many mentioned in this
thread, but it could solve a distribution problem for people who use
zc.buildout  but were not aware of zc.sourcerelease.  As I said above,
this was just an info for anyone interested in this particular workflow.