[Python-Dev] Evaluated cmake as an autoconf replacement

David Cournapeau cournape at gmail.com
Mon Mar 30 20:26:11 CEST 2009

On Tue, Mar 31, 2009 at 3:16 AM, Alexander Neundorf
<alex.neundorf at kitware.com> wrote:

> Can you please explain ? What is "those" ?

Everything in Lib. On windows, I believe this is done through project
files, but on linux at least, and I guess on most other OS, those are
handled by distutils. I guess the lack of autoconf on windows is one
reason for this difference ?

>> Also, when converting a project from one build system to another,
>> doing the 80 % takes 20 % in my experience.
>
> Getting it working took me like 2 days, if that's 20% it's not too bad ;-)

So it means ten days of work to convert to a new system that maybe
most python maintainers do not know. What does it bring ?

I think supporting cross compilation would be more worthwhile, for
example, in the build department.

cheers,

David