[Python-Dev] 2.7 Release? 2.7 == last of the 2.x line?

Barry Warsaw barry at python.org
Tue Nov 3 05:28:27 CET 2009

On Nov 2, 2009, at 10:48 PM, ssteinerX at gmail.com wrote:

> A better language, i.e. Python 3.x, will become better faster
> without dragging the 2.x series out any longer.

If Python 2.7 becomes the last of the 2.x series, then I personally
favor back porting as many features from Python 3 as possible.  I
still think doing so will help people migrate to Python 3 by getting
their Python 2 code base as close to Python 3 as possible without
biting the ultimate bullet.  E.g. for me "from __future__ import
absolute_import, unicode_literals" in Python 2.6 has helped quite a bit.

I also think Guido's call for feature freeze makes a lot more sense
when 2.7 is the EOL.  Let's give people migrating to Python 3 a nice
big stable target to hit.  Improving the stdlib also gives people a
big carrot to move.

I think it's also necessary to give third party library and
application authors as much help as possible to provide Python 3
compatible software.  Putting together Python tools involves so many
dependencies in a fairly deep stack that even one unconverted library
can cause everything above it to stall on Python 2.

-Barry