[Python-Dev] 2.7 Release? 2.7 == last of the 2.x line?

Paul Moore p.f.moore at gmail.com
Tue Nov 3 23:16:51 CET 2009

2009/11/3 Brett Cannon <brett at python.org>:
> I'm afraid there is some FUD going around here, which is
> understandable since no one wants to burn a ton of time on something
> that will be difficult or take a lot of time. But I have not heard
> anyone in this email thread (or anywhere for that matter) say that
> they tried a port in earnest and it turned out to be difficult.

Sadly, what I've heard a lot of is people (projects) saying that they
*won't* try a port (yet, for the forseeable future, take your pick)
because they *expect* it to be difficult. The worst thing is that even
Martin's (and probably others') efforts in actually producing ports,
and demonstrating that it's not difficult, don't seem to be changing
minds.

FWIW, I did a quick survey of some packages (a sampling of packages
I've used or considered using in the past):

Twisted - no plans yet for Python 3
wxPython - no mention of Python 3
numpy - no plans yet for Python 3
pyQt - supports Python 3
cx_Oracle - supports Python 3
pywin32 - supports Python 3
pygame - python 3 support "mostly completed"
Django - not yet, FAQ suggests it will be "a year or two"
TurboGears - Python 3 "currently unsupported", no timescale given
PIL - 1.1.7 (due very soon) supports Python 3
lxml - supports Python 3
pyCrypto - doesn't appear to support Python 3 yet
gmpy - 1.10 beta supports Python 3
pyYaml - supports Python 3
mod_wsgi - 3.0 RC 5 supports Python 3 (but see below)

Here, "supports Python 3" either means that explicit support is
mentioned on the website, or Windows binaries exist. I guess there's
also some pure python code that "might work", possibly only requiring
testing to confirm this.

That's a lot better picture than I expected. How come this message
isn't getting across? I suspect the big answer is that there's no web
framework (that I'm aware of) which works with Python 3 - mod_wsgi
supports Python 3, but from what I've seen on web-sig, the WSGI
picture for Python 3 is unclear, to say the least.

It seems to me that Python 3 adoption is pretty healthy, at least in
these terms. If a credible Python 3 web development framework appeared
(ie, one of the "big ones" got a port done) things would start to be
in pretty good shape.

Paul.