[Python-Dev] 2.7 Release? 2.7 == last of the 2.x line?

Larry Bugbee bugbee at seanet.com
Wed Nov 4 00:27:43 CET 2009

This is my problem to solve...  I work with a lot of [non-production]
crypto where byte strings are a normal way of manipulating and storing
keys and other artifacts.  Under Python2 I have few/no Unicode
issues.  With Python3's default string type being Unicode, there are a
lot of subtle ways where my codes go south.  Like I say, it is my
problem.

I will convert to Py3, but not likely before summer.  Besides 2to3,
any other tools/suggestions would be welcome.  (Perhaps there is a
Master switch to disable Unicode? ;-)

Changing the subject...  I say -1 on backporting more 3.x features to
2.6/2.7.  As previously mentioned, leave the carrot.  And best
intentions aside, backports can introduce problems of their own.