[Python-Dev] Refactoring installation schemes

David Lyon david.lyon at preisshare.net
Wed Nov 4 23:16:22 CET 2009

On Wed, 4 Nov 2009 13:29:35 +0100, Tarek Ziadé <ziade.tarek at gmail.com>
wrote:
> I've started to refactor the code in a module I have called
> "sysconfig", reusing distutils/sysconfig, distutils/command/install
> and site code.
>
> This "sysconfig" module should provide at the end very useful APIs to
> query the current Python environment.
>
> That's a work in progress but: I've started a branch at
> /python/branches/tarek_sysconfig so it's easier to get some feedbacks
> if anyone want to help on this.

Good job so far. Keep going.

imho a refactoring of the installation and build schemes of distutils
is due. It seems like you easily have the skills to do it.

My advice would be to do it gradually, as you are. And focus on
simplification, and filling in the functional gaps. Ask people what
the functional gaps are on their platforms and try to mould it
together in an unplatform specific way.

Myself and others can assist with this, but best to do it on
distutils-sig.

I would even go so far as to use the python 3 as a carrot for
the new work.

imho The biggest and best thing that you could do for python
packaging is to do a refactor of the .EGG format.

What I mean here, is *take* the egg, and run with it. Modernise
it and revamp it into a platform independent thing. People
'get' the egg idea, they just hate the current implementation.

What we all *need* is for the egg to be what the source
distribution now is. Not for it to be some proprietory out
out of python object.

Call it the new Tarek egg...

Then refactor distutils build to focus on good egg creation..

Many people will help you.. including myself..

David