[Python-Dev] 2.7 Release? 2.7 == last of the 2.x line?

Floris Bruynooghe floris.bruynooghe at gmail.com
Thu Nov 5 00:27:43 CET 2009

On Wed, Nov 04, 2009 at 03:54:44PM -0700, Zooko O'Whielacronx wrote:
> It occurred to me to wonder why I haven't investigated how hard it
> would be to make my Python packages Python-3-compatible.  That's right
> -- I haven't even looked closely.  I couldn't even tell you off the
> top of my head what is in Python 3 that I would have to think about
> except for the new unicode regime.  I think the answer is that the
> payoff is just *so* low to me at this point that it doesn't even
> justify me taking 15 minutes to read "What's New In Python 3" or to
> execute 2to3 on my smallest package and see what it does.

<cynical mode>

You have time to read this thread but no time to read "What's New In
Python 3"?

</cynical mode>

Personally I found porting to Python 3 a rather pleasant experience
(include C extension module).  I can't wait until I can drop support
for Python 2.2-2.X.

Regards
Floris

PS: I have to admit that the commerial code base I work on is still at
Python 2.5, but that doesn't make me worry in any way.  It'll get to
Python 3 in time (it's running on 2.6 already in development).

--
Debian GNU/Linux -- The Power of Freedom