[Python-Dev] Replacing IDLE

Stephen J. Turnbull stephen at xemacs.org
Wed Nov 11 05:06:36 CET 2009

anatoly techtonik writes:

 > Does that mean even if authors of some imaginary editor agree to
 > incorporate their code into Python, the framework that it is built
 > upon will have to be incorporated into Python also (and eventually
 > abandoned at original location)?

I would assume so.  How else can Python guarantee its maintenance?

 > In this situation I see no way we can provide any decent tools for GUI
 > like for default editor.

IDLE *is* a "decent tool".  You don't have to like it, but it's good
enough to get started.  By the time you realize its limitations, you
should have a handle on easy_install.

The promise is "batteries included."  Nobody promised you a nickel
metal hydride battery that you can use as a replacement in your Prius.