[Python-Dev] PyPI comments and ratings, *really*?

Ludvig Ericson ludvig at lericson.se
Thu Nov 12 10:44:32 CET 2009

Why are there comments on PyPI? Moreso, why are there comments which I
cannot control as a package author on my very own packages? That's
just absurd.

It's *my* package, and so should be *my* choice if I want user input
or not.

And ratings? I thought it was the Python Package Index, not the Python
Anonymous Package Tribunal.

As I see it, there are only two ways to fix these misguided steps of
development: throw them out, or make them opt-in settings.

The comments I simply do not understand. Why not instead provide a
form for mailing the package author?
The ratings are just not what PyPI should be doing, is about, or what
I signed up for.

-L