[Python-Dev] PyPI comments and ratings, *really*?

Jason Baker amnorvend at gmail.com
Thu Nov 12 15:29:17 CET 2009

On Thu, Nov 12, 2009 at 8:06 AM, Jesse Noller <jnoller at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 12, 2009 at 8:38 AM, Steven D'Aprano <steve at pearwood.info> wrote:
>> On Thu, 12 Nov 2009 08:44:32 pm Ludvig Ericson wrote:
>>> Why are there comments on PyPI? Moreso, why are there comments which
>>> I cannot control as a package author on my very own packages? That's
>>> just absurd.
>>
>> No, what's absurd is thinking that the act of publishing software
>> somehow gives you the right to demand control over what others say
>> about your software.
>>
>> I don't suppose that this rant of yours has something to do with the
>> comment posted today?
>
> Frankly, I agree with him. As implemented, I *and others* think this
> is broken. I've taken the stance of not publishing things to PyPi
> until A> I find the time to contribute to make it better or B> It
> changes.

I'm not sure I see the utility of ratings, but I think comments can be
useful as long as they don't carry over from release to release.  For
instance, suppose there's a bug in my package and someone leaves a
comment about it.  I don't want that comment still hanging around 3
years after I've already fixed the bug.