[Python-Dev] PyPI comments and ratings, *really*?

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Thu Nov 12 20:44:41 CET 2009

> If you were to ask me, the people arguing against ratings and user
> comments are fighting a losing battle. If they had an iPhone or
> Android phone (or some other device with an "app store" kind of place
> to find downloads) they'd know the value (for prospective downloaders)
> of ratings and comments. Now, I think PyPI can use some (perhaps a lot
> of) improvement in the details of how it works, e.g. there should be a
> way to flag inappropriate messages (and users who post many
> inappropriate messages)

There is, although it's admittedly tedious: users can file a support
request (follow the link "Get Help").

> and the software author should be able to talk
> back

That is actually the case: the author *can* talk back.

> but the general idea is here and won't go away by wishing it
> away.

I'm going to take a poll RSN, and see what the majority of users
think (rather than their vocal fraction). Then we can see what to do
about it.

Regards,
Martin