[Python-Dev] PyPI comments and ratings, *really*?

Guido van Rossum guido at python.org
Thu Nov 12 21:04:01 CET 2009

On Thu, Nov 12, 2009 at 11:45 AM, Jacob Kaplan-Moss <jacob at jacobian.org> wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 12, 2009 at 1:30 PM, Guido van Rossum <guido at python.org> wrote:
>> Yeah, but you're not exactly an average user. Most users don't know
>> how to use a bug tracker.
>
> But they do know how to use mailing lists. Or IRC chats. Or support forums.
>
> Those places have (for many projects) tens, hundreds, or even
> thousands of peers who are able and willing to help new users get
> started. Only the package maintainers see comments on PyPI, meaning
> we've got to deal with requests for support there manually.
>
> This isn't academic; just this morning a user asked a question on
> Django's PyPI listing that would have been better asked on any of the
> support channels we provide. I have no way of directing him there
> besides lamely commenting after the fact, and then it just seems like
> I'm giving him the runaround.

Maybe that's an example of a user who doesn't know how to use those
support channels? I know I wouldn't bother with IRC even if it was the
only way to get in touch with users, I hate it with a vengeance.
(Though arguably I'm a special case -- whenever I show up everyone
goes "ooooh, Guido is here." :-) And I might not want to sign up for a
mailing list for a casual question. And what exactly is a "forum"?

> Look, nobody's asking to kill the feature. We're asking to *make it
> optional*, and to allow us to link to a more appropriate support forum
> instead. Can you please explain to me what's wrong with that?

I already said it was fine to make it opt-out. What more do you want?

--
--Guido van Rossum (python.org/~guido)