[Python-Dev] PyPI comments and ratings, *really*?

Steven D'Aprano steve at pearwood.info
Sat Nov 14 00:30:14 CET 2009

On Sat, 14 Nov 2009 10:19:17 am Steven D'Aprano wrote:
> On Sat, 14 Nov 2009 09:17:40 am Jacob Kaplan-Moss wrote:
> > This "poll" business is just smoke and mirrors, anyway -- notice
> > the way the "no comments" votors are split among three choices,
> > while the "pro comments" voters have just two choices.
>
> What?
>
> Allow ratings and comments on all packages (status quo)
> Allow package owners to disallow comments (ratings unmodified)
> Allow comments, but only send them to package owners (ratings
> unmodified)
> Disallow comments (ratings unmodified)
> Disallow ratings and comments (status three months ago)
>
> That's three choices for allowing comments, two for disallowing.

Sorry, I should have been more explicit:

The first choice makes comments compulsory. In other words, comments are
allowed.

The second choice makes comments optional. Whether it is opt-in or
opt-out, PyPI still allows comments as an option.

The third choice makes comments available, but private. That's still
allowing comments.

Only the fourth and fifth options disallow comments. If you don't want
there to be comments on PyPI, you only have two choices: 4 or 5.

--
Steven D'Aprano