[Python-Dev] buildtime vs runtime in Distutils

Tarek Ziadé ziade.tarek at gmail.com
Sun Nov 15 02:21:41 CET 2009

Hello,

http://bugs.python.org/issue4359 reminds me that Distutils reads build
files like Makefile or pyconfig.h to get some environment
variables through the sysconfig module at *runtime*.

This cannot work on all platforms, when our Makefile is not shipped
with python but python-devel. (like Fedora)

Since I am already working on the refactoring of this
distutils/sysconfig module, so it lands in a stdlib module together
with some
elements from site.py (see a previous mail on the topic, and my
tarek_sysconfig branch - work in progress),

I was wondering if we couldn't make this module a template, and inject
at its beginning new values extracted from Makefile and pyconfig.h.

This could happen when "configure" is called,

Regards,
Tarek

--
Tarek Ziadé | http://ziade.org | オープンソースはすごい! | 开源传万世,因有你参与