[Python-Dev] Python 2.6.3

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Thu Oct 1 23:25:19 CEST 2009

Scott Dial wrote:
> Allow me to be naive for a moment and say,
> is this not the point of rc1 but to catch bugs that should not be in the
> final?

For an x.y.0 rc I would usually agree with you, but for x.y.z (where z >
0), the intended situation is for there to be zero functional changes
between the rc and the release. (This actually holds true for the final
rc in x.y.0 release as well).

It's unfortunate, but the imminent point release gets people's attention
in a way that the original "there is going to be a point release around
this date" never seems to. If the release managers didn't draw a line
and said "no more bug fixes, even minor ones" then we'd never get point
releases out even close to on time.

This is particularly so for bugs that aren't a regression from x.y.(z-1)
- it's most often regressions which are marked as release blockers
rather than newly discovered (or analysed) bugs which have existed in
the series since the x.y.0 release.

Cheers,
Nick.