[Python-Dev] eggs now mandatory for pypi?

Guido van Rossum guido at python.org
Mon Oct 5 19:54:22 CEST 2009

On Mon, Oct 5, 2009 at 10:38 AM, Jesse Noller <jnoller at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 5, 2009 at 12:00 PM, Georg Brandl <g.brandl at gmx.net> wrote:
>> Jesse Noller schrieb:

>>> Unfortunately; we're now staring down the barrel of having
>>> youtube-style comments on Python packages on the index.
>>
>> Yes, unfortunately. I originally thought that restricting the commenters
>> to those with a PyPI account would make them useful, but seeing this one
>> (even if it was not intended) and the comment on hgsvn that belongs into
>> a bug tracker instead, I'm not so sure anymore.
>>
>> Georg
>
> There would need to be a fair amount of work to make the system useful
> and almost self-policing. Not to mention people can make plenty of
> fake pypi accounts for pure astroturfing reasons.

It seems like a worthy cause though. User ratings and comments are the
future for "app store" style sites such as PyPI, and spam
unfortunately comes with the terrain. There are plenty of things we
can learn about fighting spam and other forms of vandalism from other
areas of the social web, including our very own wiki, and other wikis
(WikiPedia survives despite spam).