[Python-Dev] a new setuptools release?

P.J. Eby pje at telecommunity.com
Tue Oct 6 20:03:51 CEST 2009

At 02:45 PM 10/6/2009 +0100, Chris Withers wrote:
>>To put this into a way that makes sense to me: I'm volunteering to
>>keep distribute 0.6 and setuptools 0.6 in sync, no more, no less,
>>and try and keep that as uncontroversial as possible, and get
>>setuptools 0.6 releases out to match distribute 0.6 releases as soon as I can.

That may not be as easy as it sounds; Distribute deleted various
things from the setuptools tree (e.g. the release.sh script, used for
issuing releases) and of course it adds other stuff (e.g. stuff to
overwrite setuptools).  So you'd need to screen the diffs.

Second, I still intend to move setuptools 0.7 forward at some point,
which means the patches also need to go to the trunk.

If I had the time to co-ordinate and supervise all this, I'd have the
time to just do it myself.

If you want to help with that, the most helpful thing would be for
you to consolidate all the changes into a pair of patches: one for
the 0.6 branch and one for the 0.7 trunk.

These patches would also need to exclude the SVN 1.6 changes (as I
already have a change for that in my working copy, not yet checked
in).  They would also need to include appropriate changelog and
documentation updates.

If you can get those to me by Friday, I'll have them reviewed,
applied, and released by Monday.  I was already planning to spend a
little time on bug closing and patch application this coming weekend,
so if you can do this for me first, it will maximize the number I can get done.