[Python-Dev] Python byte-compiled and optimized code

Swapnil Talekar swapnil.st at gmail.com
Wed Oct 7 16:34:48 CEST 2009

I am working on deploying Python on VxWorks platform as a part of project
for my company. Accordingly, I would like to know couple of things from
python's core-developers. Although I think I already know the answers for
most of the questions, we need a confirmation from the community
1) Is the byte-compiled .pyc file and optimized .pyo file
platform-independent?(including python versions 3.x) *If yes, is it
guaranteed to stay that way in future?*
2) If the the generation of .pyc file fails (say, due to write protected
area), does that stop the script execution?
3) Is it possible to redirect the location of the generation of .pyc files
to other than that of the corresponding .py files?

Regards,
Swapnil