[Python-Dev] PEP about sys.implementation and implementation specific user site directory

Dino Viehland dinov at microsoft.com
Sat Oct 10 01:48:04 CEST 2009

Christian wrote:
> sys.implementation is a PyStructSequence that contains various
> information about the current implementation. Some fields are required
> to be present on every implementation. Implementations may choose to
> add
> additional fields as they see fit. Some fields like compiler are useful
> for introspection and are already part of sys.version. I like to
> include
> them for the sake of completeness.

Given that this is all about establishing some common ground between
implementations I would propose not using a CPython specific term
here such as PyStructSequence :)  The Python docs seem to use structseq
for sys.float_info.

> compiler (required):
>   verbose name of the compiler, for example "GCC 4.3.3", "Java
> HotSpot(TM) Client VM (Apple Inc.)", "Mono JIT compiler version 2.0.1"

What's the value of this attribute?  The main reason I ask is there's
no way that I know of to determine the JIT being used in .NET.  We could
of course fill in some dummy value here for IronPython but I'm also not
sure why anyone would use this.

Otherwise it looks good to me.