[Python-Dev] [python-committers] On track for Python 2.6.4 final this Sunday?

M.-A. Lemburg mal at egenix.com
Tue Oct 13 17:59:17 CEST 2009

"Martin v. Löwis" wrote:

>>> As this bug already exists in 2.6.2, I don't think the change is
>>> eligible for 2.6.4.
>>>
>>> In addition, I want to review it, which I won't be able to until
>>> Sunday.
>>
>> Then I'd suggest to wait another week with 2.6.4 to give you a
>> chance to look at the patch.
>
> That won't make the change more eligible.

No, but chances increase :-)

>> Of course, but we don't live in an ideal world, otherwise we would
>> have noticed before releasing 2.6 :-)
>
> Oh, I did notice. I had been cautioning for years that switching to
> a newer VS version (2005 or later) would cause severe problems. We
> are still trying to recover from the switch to VS 2008. That said,
> staying with VS 2003 really hadn't been an option, either. It's
> just said that Microsoft has created a new DLL hell in their attempt
> to fix the old one, and that they fail to admit it (assuming that
> everybody should be using .NET, anyway).

Well, hopefully we can work out those problems and then stay with
VS 2008 a bit.

MS is already working on VS 2010:

http://www.microsoft.com/visualstudio/en-us/products/2010/default.mspx

List of C/C++ changes:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd465215(VS.100).aspx

Not sure what this means:

"""
The libraries deployment model is no longer based on the fusion mechanism, and manifests are no
longer used. Instead, the name of each dynamic link library contains its version number.
"""

Perhaps they finally realized that adding version number to DLLs is
better than trying to match manifests.

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
eGenix.com

Professional Python Services directly from the Source  (#1, Oct 13 2009)

               http://www.egenix.com/company/contact/