[Python-Dev] Bug 7183 and Python 2.6.4

Tres Seaver tseaver at palladion.com
Thu Oct 22 19:16:32 CEST 2009

Barry Warsaw wrote:
> On Oct 22, 2009, at 10:47 AM, Benjamin Peterson wrote:
>
>> 2009/10/22 Barry Warsaw <barry at python.org>:
>>> So does anybody else think bug 7183 should be a release blocker for
>>> 2.6.4
>>> final, or is even a legitimate but that we need to fix?
>> I think it cannot hold up a release with out a reproducible code
>> snippet.
>
> It may not be reproducible in standard Python, see David's follow up
> to the issue.  If that holds true and we can't reproduce it, I agree
> we should not hold up the release for this.

The fix for 5890 has a funny "smell" to me: copying __doc__ into the
instance dict just feels wrong.  How does that work with a pure Python
class using slots?  E.g.:

  class MyProp(property):
      pass

  class Foo(object):
      @property
      def bar(self):
          '''Get a bar.'''

      @MyProp
      def baz(self):
          '''Get a baz.'''

  print Foo.bar.__doc__
  print Foo.baz.__doc__

  class SlottedFoo(object):
      __slots__ = ()
      @property
      def bar(self):
          '''Get a bar.'''

      @MyProp
      def baz(self):
          '''Get a baz.'''

  print SlottedFoo.bar.__doc__
  print SlottedFoo.baz.__doc__

That being said, I can't this bug as a release blocker:  people can
either upgrade to super-current Boost, or stick with 2.6.2 until they can.

Tres.
- --
Tres Seaver          +1 540-429-0999          tseaver at palladion.com