[Python-Dev] "Buildbot" category on the tracker

Jesse Noller jnoller at gmail.com
Fri Oct 30 00:41:59 CET 2009

On Thu, Oct 29, 2009 at 7:04 PM,  <exarkun at twistedmatrix.com> wrote:
> On 02:30 pm, solipsis at pitrou.net wrote:
>>
>> Hello,
>>
>> What do you think of creating a "buildbot" category in the tracker? There
>> are
>> often problems on specific buildbots which would be nice to track, but
>> there's
>> nowhere to do so.
>
> Is your idea that this would be for tracking issues with the *bots*
> themselves?  That is, not just for tracking cases where some test method
> fails on a particular bot, but for tracking cases where, say, a bot's host
> has run out of disk space and cannot run the tests at all?
>
> For the case where a test is failing because of some platform or environment
> issue, it seems more sensible to track the ticket as relating to that
> platform or environment, or track it in relation to the feature it affects.
>
> Of course, tickets could move between these classifications as investigation
> reveals new information about the problem.

Then again, I know for a fact certain tests fail ONLY on certain
buildbots because of the way they're configured. For example, certain
multiprocessing tests will fail if /dev/shm isn't accessible on Linux,
and several of the buildbosts are in tight chroot jails and don't have
that exposed.

Is it a bug in that buildbot, a platform specific bug, etc?

jesse