[Python-Dev] Support byte string API of Windows in Python3?

Victor Stinner victor.stinner at haypocalc.com
Mon Apr 19 11:33:58 CEST 2010

Hi,

I'm working on surrogates in filenames on Linux (more generally on BSD and
UNIX OS) to support undecodable filenames, see PEP 383. Amaury told me that I
only fixed the non-Windows versions (I fixed subprocess about the current
directory and _ctypes.dlopen()), but it doesn't work on Windows.

It's a choice, I didn't want to patch Windows because I know that Windows use
unicode internally. I consider that developers using Python3 should use
unicode on Windows, and byte or unicode+surrogates on other OS.

I don't know well Windows API, and so I would like your opinion about that ;-)

--
Victor Stinner
http://www.haypocalc.com/