[Python-Dev] PEP 328, relative imports and Python 2.7

Barry Warsaw barry at python.org
Wed Apr 21 15:40:05 CEST 2010

While talking about Python 2.6 -> 2.7 transitions, the subject of relative and
absolute imports has come up.  PEP 328 states that absolute imports will be
enabled by default in Python 2.7, however I cannot verify that this has
actually happened.

* Misc/NEWS doesn't mention it
* What's New in Python 2.7 doesn't mention it either
* My own limited testing on trunk indicates it hasn't happened

Now, truth be told I only spent 15 minutes investigating this so I could
certainly have missed something.  Are absolute imports enabled by default in
Python 2.7?  If not, given that we're into beta, I don't think we can do it
now, so I would suggest updating the PEP.  If they have been enabled then we
need to update NEWS and What's New.

-Barry