[Python-Dev] Released: Python 2.6.6

Barry Warsaw barry at python.org
Tue Aug 24 21:31:46 CEST 2010

Hello fellow Pythoneers and Pythonistas,

I'm very happy to announce the release of Python 2.6.6.  A truly impressive
number of bugs have been fixed since Python 2.6.5.  Source code and Windows
installers for Python 2.6.6 are now available here:

    http://www.python.org/download/releases/2.6.6/

The full details of everything that's changed is available in the NEWS file:

    http://www.python.org/download/releases/2.6.6/NEWS.txt

Python 2.6.6 marks the end of regular maintenance releases for the Python 2.6
series.  From now until October 2013, only security related, source-only
releases of Python 2.6 will be made available.  After that date, Python 2.6
will no longer be supported, even for security bugs.

My deepest appreciation go out to everyone who has helped contribute fixes
great and small, and much testing and bug tracker gardening for Python 2.6.6.

Enjoy,
-Barry
(on behalf of the Python development community)