[Python-Dev] PEP 384 final review

Tarek Ziadé ziade.tarek at gmail.com
Mon Nov 29 16:59:42 CET 2010

On Mon, Nov 29, 2010 at 11:24 AM, Matthias Klose <doko at ubuntu.com> wrote:
> On 29.11.2010 00:40, "Martin v. Löwis" wrote:
>>
>> I have now completed
>>
>> http://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0384/
>>
>> Benjamin has volunteered to rule on this PEP.
>>
>> Please comment with any changes you want to see, or speak in
>> favor or against this PEP.
>
> I looked at a diff with r84330 from the py3k branch.
>
> Extensions built with Py_LIMITED_API have the python version encoded in it's
> name.  Which abi name should be used for these extensions?
>..
>  - Should the distutils support for LIMITED_API be part of the pep, or
>   be implemented later?

In any case, it has to be implemented in Distutils2, not in Distutils.
Distutils is frozen and just in maintenance mode.

Once Distutils2 final is released (it's currently in alpha), it will
be installable from 2.4 to 3.x and can provide this feature.

For Python itself we can backport the feature in its setup.py, until
Distutils2 is back to the sdtlib

> In favour of the pep.

+1

--