[Python-Dev] question/comment about documentation of relative imports

Guido van Rossum guido at python.org
Tue Oct 5 20:21:56 CEST 2010

On Tue, Oct 5, 2010 at 11:17 AM, Darren Dale <dsdale24 at gmail.com> wrote:
> The issue is implementing a PEP with nice support for relative
> imports, and then documenting that it should never be used.

Isn't this mostly historical? Until the new relative-import syntax was
implemented there were various problems with relative imports. The
short-term solution was to recommend not using them. The long-term
solution was to implement an unambiguous syntax. Now it is time to
withdraw the anti-recommendation. Of course, without going overboard
-- I still find them an acquired taste; but they have their place.

--
--Guido van Rossum (python.org/~guido)