[Python-Dev] On breaking modules into packages Was: [issue10199] Move Demo/turtle under Lib/

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Fri Oct 29 12:26:06 CEST 2010

> While maintainers' convenience is a valid valid concern and some level
> of idiosyncrasy is healthy to allow active maintainers to code in
> their preferred style, I think users' convenience should come first
> when it conflicts with that of maintainers.  Remember, code is written
> once and read many.  This is particularly true about stdlib.  A minor
> inconvenience of finding the right place to stick a new function in a
> large file does not in my view overweights a major inconvenience of
> not having all pieces in one place neatly organized in a linear order.

I agree. While investigating an incompatibility in unittest2, I found
that the breakage into multiple files makes it much harder to find out
how things fit together, and where specifically a certain functionality
is implemented.

So join those who would have preferred this module to stay as a single
2000-line file.

Regards,
Martin