[Python-Dev] PEP 396, Module Version Numbers

Barry Warsaw barry at python.org
Tue Apr 12 21:32:32 CEST 2011

On Apr 07, 2011, at 12:51 PM, Michael Foord wrote:

>So I don't think recommending
>"pkgutil.get_distribution('elle').metadata['version']" as a way for packages
>to provide version information is good advice.

I want to make it clear that this section of the PEP is intended only to
provide some choices and examples, not to be definitive.  I've added this
text:

    This could be done in any number of ways, a few of which are outlined
    below.  These are included for illustrative purposes only and are not
    intended to be definitive, complete, or all-encompassing.  Other
    approaches are possible, and some included below may have limitations
    that prevent their use in some situations.

Does that help?
-Barry