[Python-Dev] hg extensions was Mercurial conversion repositories

Dj Gilcrease digitalxero at gmail.com
Sun Feb 27 00:13:15 CET 2011

So reading the thread about the conversion and the dev guide at
http://potrou.net/hgdevguide/ there seems to not be a list of
recommended extensions that the python devs should have and use, only
a few examples of their use. so I figured I would build up a list for
other people to add to / comment on

File Format Management
    eol
        http://mercurial.selenic.com/wiki/EolExtension
        required

    flake8
        http://pypi.python.org/pypi/flake8/
        recommended especially for new commiters as it will validate
pep8 compliance and check for common errors
        *Maybe update it to do pep7 compliance checks on the c files as well?

Patch Management
    mq
        http://mercurial.selenic.com/wiki/MqExtension
        This is the one the devguide uses in examples

    rebase
        http://mercurial.selenic.com/wiki/RebaseExtension
        used with the --collapse option it is very easy to build up a
patch patch with incremental commits, but discard the private history
of the developer
        This one makes more sense to me personally then mq and fits
how my standard workflow goes better

    shelve
        http://mercurial.selenic.com/wiki/ShelveExtension
        Store un commited changes away so they dont affect generation
of the patch

    transplant
        http://mercurial.selenic.com/wiki/TransplantExtension
        required to port patches between major versions

    record
        http://mercurial.selenic.com/wiki/RecordExtension
        Allows cherry picking of commits to build a patch, Also works with mq

    Crecord
        http://mercurial.selenic.com/wiki/CrecordExtension
        appears to be a c optimized version or record

Branch Management
    bookmarks
        http://mercurial.selenic.com/wiki/BookmarksExtension
        Great for tracking bug fix work without needing to create a
separate working directory
        recommended that the central repo NOT have the extension
enabled so as to ensure bookmarks are a local only tracking system