[Python-Dev] contributors survey?

Mark Smith mark.smith at practicalpoetry.co.uk
Wed Mar 2 14:10:04 CET 2011

The following is going to sound bitter...

I was fired with enthusiasm for working on Python after the sprints at
EuroPython last year. I submitted 3 (I think) patches for pulldom - a test
suite (it has 0% code coverage at present), documentation for the module
(there isn't any at present), and a patch deprecating a function that is
broken. They're all still open, and the patches are getting staler by the
month.

The point of this level of detail is: I was new to the project; I submitted
some relatively uncomplicated patches that trivially, visibly, and (mostly)
uncontroversially improve Python - one of them was a /documentation/ patch.
Then nothing happened, apart from the odd comment from people who commented
on the tickets - and I responded to their queries. So now I'm of the opinion
that it's not worth submitting patches to the Python project at all, because
they'll never be accepted. I'll dedicate my time to something else instead.

Mercurial /will/ make it easier to contribute code, but if it doesn't get
accepted into a release branch, then that makes no real difference to me.

Seriously guys - fix the issue lifecycle; I'll come back.

--Mark