[Python-Dev] [PEPs] Support the /usr/bin/python2 symlink upstream

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Fri Mar 4 22:21:48 CET 2011

Am 04.03.2011 20:14, schrieb Guido van Rossum:
> Is there any discussion still going on about the details of the PEP
> (now PEP 394)? I'm in favor of the general idea. What about Windows? I
> think it should be the same there if possible.

I think a key issue is whether to change future 2.7 bug fix releases or
not. People have been opposed to the very notion of adding this feature
in a bug fix release; not sure how they feel if the change is
PEP-sanctioned.

As for Windows support: we currently don't install a python3.exe binary,
let alone python2.exe or pythonw2.exe (or is that python2w.exe?). I'll
adjust the installer if the PEP asks me to. For the reasons discussed,
I'm -0 on the change (i.e. double-clicking .py will continue to launch
the most-recently installed Python, rather than the "right" one, and
setting PYTHONPATH will continue to break installations).

Regards,
Martin