[Python-Dev] [PEPs] Support the /usr/bin/python2 symlink upstream

Mark Hammond mhammond at skippinet.com.au
Sat Mar 5 01:47:18 CET 2011

On 5/03/2011 8:21 AM, "Martin v. Löwis" wrote:
> As for Windows support: we currently don't install a python3.exe binary,
> let alone python2.exe or pythonw2.exe (or is that python2w.exe?). I'll
> adjust the installer if the PEP asks me to. For the reasons discussed,
> I'm -0 on the change (i.e. double-clicking .py will continue to launch
> the most-recently installed Python, rather than the "right" one, and
> setting PYTHONPATH will continue to break installations).

I agree with the -0 - I simply don't think it will, in practice, make
anyone's life much easier.  To run python2 and python3 based scripts in
the same environment already requires some manual work by the machine
owner (both directories will need to be added to the path) so the
additional burden of some other steps (eg, .bat files, doskey alaises
etc) doesn't seem that great.  There is also a small risk of confusion -
people may believe python.exe and python2.exe/python3.exe have different
purposes and be confused about when to use which.

I think this discussion should be divorced from this PEP and taken up
with the discussion about the PATH and the "last installed wins" issue
Martin mentions - only all of them taken together will "fix" this issue
- not that I personally consider it particularly broken - more like
"sub-optimal" :)

Cheers,

Mark