[Python-Dev] [PEPs] Support the /usr/bin/python2 symlink upstream

Michael Foord fuzzyman at voidspace.org.uk
Sat Mar 5 14:37:20 CET 2011

On 05/03/2011 07:02, Nick Coghlan wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 5, 2011 at 10:47 AM, Mark Hammond<mhammond at skippinet.com.au>  wrote:
>> I think this discussion should be divorced from this PEP and taken up with
>> the discussion about the PATH and the "last installed wins" issue Martin
>> mentions - only all of them taken together will "fix" this issue - not that
>> I personally consider it particularly broken - more like "sub-optimal" :)
> I updated the draft PEP, explicitly bringing Mac OS X and Cygwin
> within the scope of the recommendation, and excluding PYTHON*
> environment variable considerations and Windows-related proposals. The
> Windows section does include a hit-list that may serve as a useful
> starting point if someone else felt like starting a Windows specific
> PEP, though.

The issues are relevant to Windows (there are *other* issues as well but
that doesn't mean that the same issue doesn't apply). Guido also said he
would like to see Windows addressed.

I'll be happy to try and come to some consensus with Martin (and others)
on what we *can* do for Windows (as similar to the other platforms as
possible would be my goal) and provide appropriate text for the PEP.

I don't think it would be good (or necessary) to split this into a
separate PEP. PyCon (sprints or language summit) would be a good place
to talk about this.

> I believe the only remaining decision to be made is whether we
> actually change the "make install" command and the Mac OS X installers
> for Python 2.7.2, or leave them alone and tell the distro folks to fix
> it on their side of the fence. My own vote is a +1 for both, since
> changing "make install" is fairly easy, and Ronald indicated earlier
> in the thread that not only is the change to the Mac OS X installer
> pretty trivial, but that Apple are likely to follow the lead of
> whatever our default installer does.

Martin has also indicated that making appropriate changes to the Windows
installer would not be difficult if we agree that changing the 2.7
maintenance branch in this way is appropriate.

All the best,

Michael Foord

--
http://www.voidspace.org.uk/