[Python-Dev] PyCObject_AsVoidPtr removed from python 3.2 - is this documented?

Barry Scott barry at barrys-emacs.org
Tue Mar 8 23:32:53 CET 2011

On 7 Mar 2011, at 09:33, Martin v. Löwis wrote:

> Am 07.03.2011 10:14, schrieb Nick Coghlan:
>> On Mon, Mar 7, 2011 at 6:36 PM, John Arbash Meinel
>> <john at arbash-meinel.com>  wrote:
>>>
>>> Especially since, AIUI, deprecations are suppressed by default now.
>>
>> True, but developers are expected to run their tests with them enabled.
>
> I think everything here is as it should be. People who really cared
> about forwards compatibility could have known, but factually, most
> people don't care enough. Those then learn for the first time that
> some feature was deprecated after it is actually removed. They then
> ask why it is removed, and somebody will tell them.

I was not aware I could turn on deprecation warning for use of the C API.
How can I do that?

> The OP is actually wrong that this isn't documented in "what's new";
> there is an item about it in the "porting to 3.2" section.

O.k. I see that now. I searched for the API call that vanished and came up
empty. I did not think to search for cobject or read the porting section.

BTW the link on http://www.python.org/download/releases/3.2/
to what's new points to the 3.3a0 whats new page.

Barry