[Python-Dev] Module version variable

R. David Murray rdmurray at bitdance.com
Wed Mar 16 19:33:22 CET 2011

On Wed, 16 Mar 2011 13:33:20 -0400, Michael Foord <fuzzyman at voidspace.org.uk> wrote:
> On 16/03/2011 12:39, Alexander Belopolsky wrote:
> > I was editing the turtle module (for issue11571, if you are
> > interested) when I noticed that it has the following line:
> >
> > _ver = "turtle 1.1b- - for Python 3.1   -  4. 5. 2009"
> >

> unittest also has an outdated (and unmaintained) version number that I
> would like to remove. Standard library modules should be versioned by
> the release of Python they are packaged with (unless they are externally
> maintained I guess) and so should preferably *not* carry version info.

The email package has an internal version (which changes no more often
than CPython's, but may change slower).  Existing code in the field
tests this version attribute, so I don't think it should be deleted.

The same may or may not be true of unittest, but if it hasn't been
maintained its present utility is questionable so it may be just as
well to delete it.

--
R. David Murray                                      www.bitdance.com